Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Crimson Velveteen Cupcakes with Old-Fashioned Velvet Frosting

This Recipe makes about 12 cupcakes.  Remember to not fill more than 2/3 of the way full unless you want less than 12 "muffin-cakes". The biggest rule I can tell you is to have an oven thermometer, every oven is different, I know mine for instance is always hotter than the temp. I set it on.  If you don't have an oven thermometer I suggest you get one, if you still sit there and say, but I don't need one, I can just check them to make sure they aren't overcooked....don't come crying when your cupcakes are dry or burnt(trust me I've done this and been highly disappointed to put my fantastic icing on top of dry cupcakes!)  I have baked both vegan and non-vegan and can say I have honestly never tasted anything more delicious in cupcake form than the Vegan versions.  Now there has been some suggestions that recipes with baking powder messes with the taste of vegan baking, I have had delicious results so far, but if anyone has suggestions or recipes they'd like to share that don't include baking powder please feel free to share!  I added pictures at the end so if you are confused on anything, maybe it will help a little. So without further ado Here we go............

CUPCAKE INGREDIENTS:

1 cup soymilk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1-1/4 cups all purpose four(I like gold medley's organic all purpose)
1 cup granulated sugar(i use florida crystals organic sugar)
2 tbs cocoa powder(can be regular or dutch processed)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup canola oil
2 tbs red food coloring
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp almond extract
1 tsp chocolate extract(I HIGHLY recommend not using artificial versions, yes the real stuff is hard to find, but well worth it, if you can't find it you can increase the vanilla by 2 tsp or almond by 1 tsp)

DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. MAKE SURE YOU TURNED THE OVEN ON TO 350! ( I don't know why some people think preheating can be skipped.....)
3. put cupcake liners in pan....TRUST ME, you will be glad you did this first!
4. Whisk together the soy milk and vinegar, set aside to curdle(when I say curdle, it does not actually look curdled, just let it set until you are ready for the wet ingredients)
5. Sift flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl and mix
6. Add the oil, food coloring, chocolate extract, almond extract, and vanilla extract to the curdled soy milk. Whisk well to combine.
7. Gently fold wet ingredients into dry, mixing until large lumps disappear(some small lumps are ok)
8. Fill cupcake liners about 2/3 full.
9. Place in hot oven and bake 18-20 minutes(here is where you make sure the oven temp is correct, mine where perfectly done at about 16 minutes)
10. Let cool for a few minutes then transfer to a wire cooling rack

FROSTING INGREDIENTS
2 tbs all purpose flour
1/2 cup soy milk
1/4 cup non-hydrogenated shortening
1/4 cup margarine
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup superfine or castor sugar
chopped pecans(optional)
DIRECTIONS
1. In a small saucepan over medium hear, whisk together the flour and soy milk. Stir constantly until the mixture starts to thicken and has a pudding-like consistency, about 3 to 4 minutes.  Remove from heat and allow to cool for 2 minutes.  Transfer to a large bowl  and press plastic wrap on top of CUSTARD to prevent a skin from forming.
2. Allow mixture to cool COMPLETELY(very important)
3. Cream together the shortening, margarine, vanilla, and sugar then beat in cold custard.  Beat with electric mixer for 4-6 minutes.  Frosting should become lighter in color and have a very creamy texture, similar to very thick whipped cream. Frost on cooled cupcakes
4. Toast Chopped pecans in oven and sprinkle on finished cupcakes.

Refrigerate until about 10-15 minutes before serving.
Here are some pictures I took during a baking session:










2 comments:

  1. Oooh I'm so glad you're doing a blog on this- I'm always looking for new healthy recipes and I'm super picky so it's difficult to find things I like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this recipe takes a bit to make but they are literally the best cupcakes I've made in my life!!! I hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete